View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Nucynta/Tapentadol

Has anyone used this medication for nerve pain? I was on a fairly low dose of methadone, and having a lot of problems with nausea and mental confusion (some people might call it "being high" I guess) so I didn't want to try upping the dose for that. So I recently asked my pain med doc about Nucynta and she agreed to switch me to it. She started me on 50 mg ER 2x day, which I believe is the normal starting dose. But it isn't working, so now she upped it to 100 mg 2x a day, but said that if that doesn't work, we should go back to methadone. .

Anyway, my question is: does anyone have any idea why a doctor would not want to keep trying a little higher dose of Nucynta? Their dosage instructions say you could go up to 500 mg a day of the ER, or I think 600 of the regular. What could be the problem that's so bad that'd you rather make someone nauseous with methadone? They're both Sched II and abuse-able, so I just don't get the preference. If anything, I'd think that methadone would be more likely to be abused, but I don't know.

If you ever tried this med for nerve pain, did it help, and what dose were you on? Thanks!