View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

JenLRhodes,

ALL of your questions are very valid and to be clear ... the OS should also view the scan and give his opinion as he is the one who performed the oral surgery so he knows what he encountered and he is the one who placed the graft so he knows what he used and where he put it.

You will have to ask both the ENT and the OS all of those questions as they are the ones looking at the scan. Never assume that the "incidental details" are going to be sited or evaluated. It is always wise for the patient to bring up all of their questions to ascertain that these issues and concerns are addressed prior to any further treatment or surgery.

A clinical view of the inside your mouth is limited if we are talking about the sinuses or the bone graft that is in your jaw bone covered by closed gum tissue. So things can look great clinically and be a well hidden problem.

I would not have any surgery done until the OS and the ENT have discussed with each other..... the oral surgery that was done, the graft that was placed, their findings and opinions regarding the scan and what options they think may be a wise approach to helping you. The way to get them to do that.... tell each of them that you want a collaborated effort as you feel that is the best way to cover all the bases and that you won't proceed until this is done.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLRhodes View Post
**The ENT and the oral surgeon need to collaborate on this infection as it could be that the surgical site is still infected.... the graft may be infected... the sinus may have additional infection. They need to work together.**

The ENT did the CT scan and has recommended surgery to clear out my sinuses. I'm wondering will that same CT scan have shown him whether my graft or graft site was infected? How do we tell if the graft itself is infected if the inside of my mouth is "fine" The gums are tender...i'm not sure though because we know sinus pressure does this too.

If i have the sinuses surgically cleaned i want to make sure the infection won't recur as a result of it being originated at the graft site.

Since the new OS just referred me to an ENT...how do i convince them i think the infection is in the graft? how can we tell?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote