View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 03:55 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick21 View Post
Seth8a,

Its really interesting what you mention about a small glass of wine or a beer. Alcohol for me has been one of my most anxiety inducing things since injury. I felt a lot better 3 months post injury and then went clubbing, drinking heavily with my friends, and going out on weekends. After about a week or two of that my symptoms came back and have been here to stay ever since.

I wonder now if my anxiety over not having a drink is almost counter productive and if I were just to relax and allow myself to have a little bit after work like a small glass of wine or like half a beer if that would get rid of that anxiety association and would let me just chill out about the whole thing. If you think about the amount of alcohol I am actually intaking with half a beer I can't imagine that the brain is going to be THAT sensitive to such a small amount of alcohol. Especially if I'm not drinking on an empty stomach or really quickly or something like that.

Have any thoughts on that?
Sorry to miss this--I am seldom on NT anymore. Yes, I think you are over-thinking this, actually. Definitely one drink would not hurt you--unless you have a problem with alcohol. The odd thing for me is that I always had trouble with alcohol in moderation--that is until I started having a drink once a night about 7 months after my injury. I cannot drink more than one. However, this must be said that I did not drink for the first 7 months of my recovery, and was a non-drinker for several years even before my accident. But my brain chemistry seems to have changed, a lot more sensitive in some ways.

Hang in there! You'll get better. By the way, I found a lot of good healing went on after I stopped being on NT so much and once you've gleaned all you can from this site--I really suggest anyone to look to other places for succor and advice. I was helped hugely here--but it can become an obsession after awhile.

Take care.
seth8a is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nick21 (02-05-2016)