View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellytek View Post
Hi Sylive thanks for the reply

no i wasnt offered this test , the neurologist said to me you cant diagnose SFN , im in ireland so maybe its not possible to do this here , i dont know ??

guessing emg is the same thing ? so yes its looking like ill have to look into going elswhere ? its a big hmmmm here now

anyways thanks for your comment
Dear M,

I think you are going to gave to get on line and do some research to find a neurologist and or center who will test. I can't imagine one cannot get this testing in Ireland!

EMG testing is for muscles. (Large fibers)..it is cumbersome and somewhat painful. My insurance mandated I get this first. I knew it would l'd be negative, for I have no problems now with muscle strength and gait.

I knew my I issues were around small fibers....for I have both autonomic (issues with heart rate, blood pressure, sweating, digestion, etc) as well as sensory (tingling, burning pain). I was right, unfortunately.

Yet it is very important to be diagnosed.....as you can see on this forum, there are many causes for small fiber neuropathy....and treatment s may vary depending on them. Mine has either no known cause (idiopathic) or may be the result of medication....not sure.

So try googling "peripheral neuropathy" and "testing." You may wish to begin with major medical centers. Call them and ask if you can speak to someone about their services. Note of caution...centers might test but not treat! But testing is a start!

Ill take a look for you too later!

Sylvie
SylvieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote