View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 05:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Hi fluentinsarcasm

Welcome to NeuroTalk .

My general suggestion is that you could encourage your boyfriend to give up activities which put him at risk of concussion - the brain damage from concussion is cumulative.

A retired football player here, with a long history of sport-related concussion, has been prescribed Aricept which he says has helped him. This is an option which your boyfriend could discuss with his health care team.

I hope that the referral to a concussion clinic will help him.

All the best.
Thank you for your warm welcome and response!

He doesn't play hockey competitively anymore--sometimes he'll play pond hockey, but it's far less physical than on the rink. The only sport he does now is weight lifting/body building, and he's aware of the cumulative effect--it's one of the reasons we think this most recent concussion is so bad.

Thanks for the advice about Aricept. I've been reading that ADHD drugs like Ritalin and Adderall can also help. I just hope we can get him into a concussion clinic. His previous PCP never referred him to a neurologist or anything. She was basically just like "eh, it'll go away on its own." His biggest problem is that he can't work right now because of all this, which leaves him on medicaid, and it seems like doctors don't have an interest in helping medicaid patients. :/
fluentinsarcasm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-02-2016)