View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I remember how odd it was doing my preliminary evaluation at Mayo and the neuro having me stand with eyes closed or balancing on one foot.

I had equal numbness and weirdness in my legs and hands. But no problem standing and/or losing balance. I was playing tennis and running not losing balance.

Like everything in my disease, it has never been overnight, just gradual.

In conversations with doctors, I take in what is said. Five years after my initial diagnosis, I recall my neuro saying he was surprised that I was not in a wheelchair yet. Just as always, I thought it was an odd remark.

Based on subsequent consultations, I now understand why.

My balance issues are physical in nature. My right leg has atrophied, my toes are curled. My right leg is shorter than the left. My right leg is weaker than the left but both are weak. My left leg is more numb than the right but both are numb.

Using a walker has become so exhausting that I save my energy by using a wheelchair. I used to be able to hug the wall when walking, now legs are not moving well so although my brain says "walk(!)," my legs say " huh?"

It must be frustrating to be trying to find similarities in order to solve your issues.
Aarcyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (02-03-2016), Kitty (02-04-2016), SallyC (02-04-2016), Snoopy (02-03-2016)