Thread: Got To Do It
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 01:03 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDave View Post
I sleep badly due to the pain and continence problems caused by the Cancer/Radiotherapy. When I fall asleep I usually wake up 30-90 minutes later with pain and/or numbness, or - in the early hours - to go to the bathroom numerous times. It then takes a while to get settled and get back to sleep, so totting up I would say I have 7 hours of broken sleep a night - I have taken to falling back to sleep after my pain meds at 7am unless we are going out.

When I have my Lidocaine Infusions I sleep for virtually the whole weekend following. I am also in a constant state of drowsiness due to meds side effects - Morphine, Ketamine, Tramadol and Mirtazapine all make me drowsy and foggy.

I have been sleeping like this since 1990. I had an excellent night's sleep in '05 when they took my gallbladder out and I was still under the effects of the anaesthetic and was given a lot of Morphine. I felt GREAT

Dave.
Hi Dave

I can relate to the beneficial effects of Morphine on sleep quality - they had to physically shake me awake to sign the consent forms before my appendectomy - does wonders for pain relief as well.

Don't fret the small weight gain - I know it bugs you but with your determination you'll get it sorted. I had a weigh-in at the doctor's today and was expecting an increase as I haven't been able to do any physio or exercise for the past month due to severe edema & pain (caused by very hot weather and meds). Surprisingly I had dropped 5kg (about 2lbs ?) - don't feeling like eating in the heat - Popsicles have become my new favourite 'food' (I think they may be called ice lollies in the UK).

Another good snack you might like is carrot sticks or celery dipped in hummus. Maybe not very appealing in the middle of winter but the chick peas (aka; garbonzo beans) are good for protein.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-04-2016), EnglishDave (02-04-2016), PamelaJune (02-29-2016)