View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi webinfusion,

Thanks for checking in with us.

Sinus xrays specifically view the 4 different pairs of sinuses and can indicate the presence of a problem but they cannot determine the specific cause of the problem. These xrays may not show the upper arch of your mouth clearly enough to see if there is a retained tooth root tip, etc.

Why the antibiotic? Inflammation does not automatically mean infection. Sinuses can be inflamed for a number of non bacterial reasons especially when the inflammation is seen on both sides rather than just one. So the antibiotics should only be taken if there is a strong suspicion of an infection or a definitive infection has been diagnosed. If infection is present, then it needs to be determined what is causing the infection or the antibiotic will not cure the infection. If there are tooth remnants or root canal filling material still present in the tissue or bone, the infection will not go away.

Oral antibiotics take 24-48 hours to start to work on an infection. As far as a negative reaction to the antibiotics.... that could occur immediately, after a few days or even after a couple of weeks of taking them.

The worsening of the sinus pressure on the right side where you had the root canaled tooth removed is not a sign that the antibiotics are working. It is more indicative of a chronic problem caused by an irritant ... may or may not be infectious, could be environmental, allergies, etc.

A periapical dental xray of that upper right area might be helpful to see if there is tooth or bony fragments or other debris not removed during the tooth extraction. It has to be taken at an angle to capture the maxillary bone above where that tooth was taken from. So if you decide to have this done, just be sure to tell the technician that you need that specific area captured on the xray. Otherwise, she may take the xray straight on and not get that area in it.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by webinfusoin View Post
Hi Bryanna,

OK, I'm back with an update. Things were not getting appreciably better, so I saw an ENT on Monday. He ordered a full set of sinus xrays. This was done at the hospital. They told me they showed inflammation in both maxillary sinuses. He prescribed 3 weeks of augmentin, 2 tabs per day with breakfast and dinner (I got the sub called IC AMOX-CLAV 875-125 MB TABLETS). I started yesterday, so have had 3 so far. I'm wondering, since I have never had this before, how long do reactions take if they are going to happen?

If there is debris in there would this type of xray show it? They imaged my head from all angles (yes I'm glowing now, lol!) so it seems like anything that shouldn't be in there would have been visible.

The pressure in on the right side of my face is actually more uncomfortable today. Could that be the antibiotics starting to work?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote