View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 04:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Webinfusion,

Definitely infection? Is that what the ENT said or did he say inflammation? Or are you going by your symptoms?

A periapical dental xray is a 2 dimensional view which is not ideal for some situations. However, when taken at an angle to specifically show the entire bony socket of where the tooth use to be, it can often detect tooth remnants and root canal filling material if these were left behind after the tooth was removed. This xray can also show if the periodontal ligament was removed or not during the oral surgery and also how the bone graft is integrating with the existing jaw bone. The radiation from a single digital periapical xray is almost non detectable.

It would behoove you to follow up with the oral surgeons office to give them a heads up that the scan is being sent to them. Tell them you want the os to call you with his opinion on it. If you want the periapical xray done, then just make an appt with their office to have that xray done and discuss the findings on the ENT scan and the periapical xray.

The os would be the one to go in and retrieve whatever remnants are present so long as they are attainable within reason via the mouth.

Bryanna
The ENT said, "Sometimes people think they have a sinus infection when they really don't." I replied, "OK. What would cause the smelly mucus if not an infection in my sinus?" To which he replied, "Well, sometimes the DO have an infection. In that case I would prescribe 3 weeks of augmentin. That should knock it out, and if not we go from there."

When I spoke with his office, his nurse said that inflammation was visible in both maxillary sinuses in the xrays and that he called in the prescription. So I am going by my symptoms and his statement and actions. I will also follow up with OS to see if he sees anything the ENT missed. Thank you!
webinfusoin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote