View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
caligal,

I will re post your questions and answer them in bold type. Makes it easier to follow.

<<1. What does it mean to debride the bone after extraction?>>

DEBRIDEMENT OF THE BONE MEANS TO SCRAPE IT CLEAN.
ANYTIME A TOOTH IS EXTRACTED, THE BONY SOCKET THAT THE TOOTH WAS IN NEEDS TO BE SCRAPED CLEAN OF ALL TISSUE REMNANTS AND LOOSE FRAGMENTS OF BONE. IF THIS STEP IS NOT DONE THEN AN INFECTION CAN DEVELOP AND/OR THE SITE MAY NOT HEAL COMPLETELY.

<< If the surgeon doesn't see infection, do they still debride the bone?>>

A THOROUGH DEBRIDEMENT IS SUPPOSE TO BE DONE WITH EVERY TOOTH EXTRACTION IRRELEVANT OF WHETHER THERE IS INFECTION OR NOT.

<<2. Do all the OS always remove the periodontal ligament?>>

THIS IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE ORAL SURGERY SHOULD NEVER BE SKIPPED OR RUSHED THROUGH. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE DONE WITH EACH EXTRACTION. UNFORTUNATELY NOT EVERY OS OR DENTIST WILL PERFORM THIS STEP OR PERFORM IT AS THOROUGH AS THEY SHOULD.

<< What happens if its left in there?>>
A BACTERIAL INFECTION CAN OCCUR AS A RESULT OF NOT REMOVING THE NOW NECROTIC TISSUE AND BONE. THIS INFECTION CAN SPREAD BEYOND THIS AREA OF THE MOUTH AND HEALING CAN BE INCOMPLETE.

<<After reading these forums, should I ask my OS if they did that?>>
YOU CAN. HOWEVER, SHE MAY TELL YOU SHE DID EVEN IF SHE DIDN'T BECAUSE THIS STEP IS SUPPOSE TO BE DONE IRRELEVANT OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Do you still have the swelling near #19? Has the area underneath your tongue changed? When is your post operative appointment to see the os?

Bryanna

*** Hi Bryanna,

I still have facial swelling close to 2 weeks later, it's soft facial swelling. I don't have pain or nor a smell but the face is still has some swelling which is noticable. IT DOESN"T SEEM TO BE GOING DOWN. Both #14 and #19 on my left side of the face, so don't know if its #14 or #19 causing the swelling.

At the 1 week post-op, OS said it look fine. What can it be for the facial swelling? My other teeth are fine, don't have cavitiies in the past five years so I feel like I can eliminate the other teeth as the reason. How much time should I wait before getting a 2nd opinion for the swelling? Thanks so much!
caligal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote