View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diandra View Post
Dear Waterwillow,
Such a difficult position when you are trying to love and support a family member in dire need of help.

I agree, you have no choice but to withdraw from his life before he hurts someone in the family, himself or a stranger.
He needs to hit rock bottom and not be enabled by those around him, despite the enabling being done from a place of caring.

Have dealt with similar situations, sometimes withdrawing means they get arrested and spending time in jail for their behavior and obviously, a forced and very painful withdrawal from alcohol. Some people have to hit absolute rock bottom before they wake up and change. 30 yrs of this behavior is not something you can turn around overnight, obviously but his painful withdrawal will give him the wake up call that 30 yrs has not. I know it sounds cruel but the fact he is still alive from 30 years of heavy drinking is incredible. I am guessing his liver is not in very good shape.

I commend you for hanging in with him this long. You are obviously a very caring person.
In the long run, hopefully, he will realize you withdrew out of concern.

Wishing you the best in dealing with this painful situation.
My best.
Diandra
Thanks Diandra, no one wants to watch someones life fall apart but neither do I want the fallout from his condition wrecking our own.
"Thanks for this!" says:
RSD ME (03-25-2016)