View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your comments. It is so great to finally communicate with people going through the same issues. I will definitely add the benfotiamine from everyone's advice. I would like to add the magnesium but I seem to remember reading on here somewhere a comment from MrsD that the magnesium would cancel out the gabapentin. Am I remembering that correctly?

Patrick - I did have the fasting glucose and it was normal. I have not had the A1C. I did get a glucose monitor and have been checking my levels periodically since the test and everyone of my readings have been normal levels. I hoping that it is because of my changed diet and increased exercise over the last few months.

en bloc - I don't know why she had me have the QSART test. I will ask at my next appointment. I do not have any of the BP, heart rate or sweating issues. As far as the gabapentin, it seems when I increase the dose, I feel better for a day or two and then it gets worse again. Not sure if its just in my mind or what. I am increasing my dose to 1800mg/day this weekend to see if it helps.

I am going to a podiatrist next week just to rule anything else out on the recommendation of my neurologist. Thanks to everyone again. I will keep updating as I know how beneficial it has been to me to see others progress.
I believe Magnesium is OK to take as long as it is a few hours between Gabapentin doses. I take magnesium in the afternoon and Gabapentin 200mg at night with no reaction.

If your glucometer is showing normal readings I wouldn't sweat the pre diabetes stuff. A lot of doctors hate the OGTT because who actually sits and chugs down 75 grams of pure sugar anyway? I personally get a worse blood sugar spike from potatoes than i do sugar. i would like to see them do a OGTT with a baked potato instead LOL. Kidding? Maybe, maybe not.

There are two theories on this new "prediabetes" diagnosis. 1. Its a good way to scare you into changing your diet. or 2.It's a good way for big pharma to push metformin on patients who probably don't need it. It's similar to the statin hysteria that has been going on for years now. We shall see i guess. I think people can get a little nuts over the "magic numbers" we set for blood levels. When we start seeing extremes then let's dig into it. That's the approach of my cardiologist and I appreciate that approach.

• R-Lipoic Acid: 100mg - 300mg Daily
• Acetyl-L Carnitine: 1500mg Daily
• Vitamin B12: 1000 mcg Daily
• Magnesium 500mg Daily
• Grape Seed Extract 200mg Daily
• Benfotiamine 300mg daily

Patrick Winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Marie33 (03-26-2022), zkrp01 (02-06-2016)