View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieM View Post
Hi David,

Here are some contacts for you: please look up full addresses, for I don't have them ..sorry.

The two I contacted:

Lawrence Afrin
University of Minnesota -Hematology
Afrinl@umm.edu
His assistant is Georgio Walberg
612-625-9604

I wrote Afrin and Walberg wrote me back--stated Afrin read my letter...nice.

Cem Akin
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
617-278-0300
(I called and assistant returned call)

Other docs:

Maria C. Castells
Brigham and Womens
Colleague of Akin

Theoharis Theoharides
Also writes with the two above
716-636-6898

And by the way, you know the Afrin article you posted up is on Mastocytosis, a far more serious disorder than MCAS?...I just skimmed it, but will check out page 149. You know you inspired my post...I really hope MCAS is the answer for you. I also had to smile at your sense of ageism (although I get it...how can a big, healthy man complain about obscure, subjective symptoms? ) Yet it ain't easy being a 60-year-old woman who flings around medical jargon. (I'm still working on my patient persona.) I'm so lucky I found a couple of smart, open doctors. My cardiologist is a peach. Yet, I'm still hunting for the elusive smart and empathetic neurologist!

En Bloc,

Speaking of smart....I again have to thank you. Is your neuro/rheumy Julius Birmbaum at Hopkins' Sjogrens center? My rheumatologist suggested I go there, and I know another patient of his from another forum (perhaps it's you....forum aliases are confounding!). My sister is in Baltimore, so it could be an easy stay for me. I'm eager to see if he'll test you ...perhaps I should see him?
...I look forward to your message (no rush!).

Sylvie
YES, my doctor is Julius Birnbaum. I have seen him for the last 8+ years (before he was even at the Sjogren's Clinic)? He is, by far, the best in the nation for neurological manifestations of Sjogren's (or other autoimmune disease). He is the only one in the entire country to be both a rheumy and neuro. If you can get in to see him, then by all means, go for it.

Have you been on the Sjogren's World forum? I have spoken of Dr. Birnbaum many times on that forum...and here. So you may know me from there...my user name there is my real name, Anita.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote