View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 01:10 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Benfotiamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Winter View Post
JIm, Your situation reminds me of mine in a lot of ways. I didnt fail the Oral Glucose Tolerance test though. I had the same Vitamin D numbers and I had a very high B6 from taking a B-Complex supplement. I dont think that the Vitamin D numbers being low are your problem. At 29, its merely a nuance. I do supplement with Vitamin D supplement because of it now but it doesn't help with the pain or anything. In my case my D was low because i avoid the sun because of dehydration issues I have.

I agree with comments above. Vitamin B6 is the one B supplement you really don't want to be taking when dealing with nerve issues. GO off that for a while and see if things improve. B12, B1 and B2 are all fine though. Most notably, add B1(Benfotiamine) if you are experiencing SFN pain. I recommend at least 300mg a day. Almost everyone I know with some form of peripheral neuropathy swears by it as one of the most essential vitamins for pain relief and it is very safe even in high doses.

Also, make sure you are taking R-Lipoic Acid not Alpha Lipoic Acid. the latter is poorly absorbed and won't offer much relief. R-Lipoic is better absorbed. get the Life Extension or Doctor's Best brand for the best version of this supplement.

Also, consider adding magnesium. Pretty much everyone walking this planet doesnt get enough magnesium in their diet so its necessary regardless of what you suffer from.

Did you also have Fasting glucose and A1C levels done? An oral glucose tolerance test is a good test but those other tests would confirm any blood sugar issues. I know if people who failed the OGTT test and then a month later took it and passed it. Some doctors don't like the OGTT test anymore and would rather use A1C and Fasting. The best bet is to have all 3 tests done. See an endocrinologist if you haven't.

Understand, I am just bringing these things up because your situation reminds me of mine in a lot of ways. i am not a doctor. These are things I learned along the way in trying to get things figured out. Hope it helps in some way.
I agree with the suggestion of Benfotiamine. I have been suffering with SFN since January of 2011. I take Lyrica 600 mg per day, Benfotiamine 600 mg per day. 100 mg Amtryptaline at night, alone with 4-6 10 mg Hydrocone per day for the pain. I ran out of my Benfotiamine and didn't re-order it, boy did I suffer!! So, give it a try. It helps, if even just for the short term. I'll take any relief available!
Sandy04029 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ShaggyChic_1201 (02-08-2016)