View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update---Saw my pain mgmt dr yesterday :)

Hey my friends

First......my experience the last 3 weeks after reducing my BuTrans pain patch from 20 mcg/hr to 10 mcg/hr.

I put the 10 patch on on a Thursday. Didn't notice any change until the next Monday when I started getting sick (sinus/earache). When Saturday came I was in the dr's office with a fever and feeling pretty bad. Dx was sinus/ear infection and he prescribed an antibiotic. Over the next week I honestly thought I was going to die a day or two when I was hurting so bad.

So the first 2 weeks I have no idea what was withdrawal and what pain and feeling badly was coming from the infection.

This past week. Infection has mostly cleared up and I'm feeling ok. The pain has been sharper and I've had more pain in my arms than usual. My mouth/teeth were also hurting me more than normal.

When I saw my pain mgmt. dr yesterday I had been on the 10 patch for 3 weeks and 4 days.

He prescribed me extended release morphine 15 mg and reduced my oxycodone from 3 a day to 2 a day. He explained that the morphine is much stronger than the BuTrans patch......I thought it was the opposite. We decided I would take my patch off this morning and take my first new pain pill.

He also said I need to take the morphine as close to 12 hours apart as I can. I've set my cell phone alarm for 9 am and 9 pm everyday to help with that. He said it might take a few hours for the first pill to kick in and not to take an oxycodone until I see how the morphine is working.

Well that's where I messed up ! I did take my patch off but I am so use to taking my morning pain pill that I FORGOT and took the morphine and the oxycodone. Stupid me !

I asked my daughter to keep checking on me today to make sure I'm ok. I'm sure I'll be fine but will not do that again ! A stupid mistake like that could really cause some bad problems I'm guessing.

I'll give it a few days and report back on how this is working for me. I'm hoping it will give me more relief than the BuTrans patch was.

I had a meltdown last Wednesday night. I rested more than normal that day knowing that we were going to dinner that night. I was doing well until we came out of the restaurant and by the time I got to the truck I knew I was going down fast. BUT......we wanted to stop at the new Wal-Mart Market as I had not been. So........Christina pushed me in a wheelchair/cart and we were in there less than 30 minutes. By the time we got to the truck I was in tears....tears because the pain had climbed to an aggressive 8 and tears of absolute frustration !

Why can't I go to a sit down dinner out and a short trip to the market ? I don't think that's asking for much is it ? Then I felt ashamed of myself as I know there are many out there much worse than I am

Thanks to all who are following my SFN journey. I really appreciate the support and love I get from everyone here on NT.

Debi
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cliffman (02-09-2016), echoes long ago (02-14-2016), EnglishDave (02-09-2016), Hopeless (02-09-2016), KnowNothingJon (02-10-2016)