View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursenicole103180 View Post
I'm wondering if my surgeon would consider removing the shunt and catheter that goes into my abdomen and just leave the catheter that goes in to the ventricle. I'm do miserable. This isn't helping me at all. I just want it out ������������
Hey Nicole,
To be honest with you, they would not have placed a shunt if it was not deemed necessary. You would have to speak with your surgeon and neurologist. The shunt, in my experience anyway, certainly has some major impacts on life BUT (and this is a BIG BUT) I'm still alive. From all reports I would not be alive without it. The impacts for me have been huge and I would not wish this on anybody, my life will never be the same again and I know it, but the alternative... ...well, there wasn't one. Death ain't exactly an option as such.
Pogo is correct "have your icp checked". When I was in hospital they blocked off the whole appliance to test if the shunt was still required. In my case I still need it. Have the appropriate test, then have an appropriate conversation with your surgeon. They will be able to give you an appropriate answer.
Hope it helps
Merl1n
Merl1n is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote