View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ddd,

Thank you for posting the xray. It is not ideally diagnostic but the infection is quite apparent.

Yes, you have a moderate size infection with tooth #3 which has been brewing for at least 10 years as the root canal procedure and apico are not procedures that can cure an infected tooth. They are done to attempt to retain an unhealthy tooth for an uncertain amount of time. So it's important that you understand that this infection is ongoing for over 10 years.

When this tooth is extracted, there is going to be substantial bone loss due to the infection and possible sinus communication. It may not be an ideal site for a dental implant. Please discuss those issues in a consultation with the oral surgeon.

Have you had a complete comprehensive dental examination and full mouth series (18-20) xrays done? I ask because on this one xray tooth #4 and #2 look a bit suspicious regarding vitality. You also have some moderate+ bone loss associated with all 4 teeth in this picture so you may also have that elsewhere. It would behoove you to have that full examination and xrays done prior to any dental treatment if possible.

It really helps to get an overall picture of your dental health before you undergo any dental treatment just in case there are issues with the adjacent teeth. I think you would agree that the goal is to spend as little, although productive and warranted time, in the dental chair as possible.

You will be okay... you just need to follow through and not put this off any longer. Please keep posted....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd49 View Post
I had a root canal on tooth #3 over 10 years ago. A few years ago I had an apicoectomy on the same tooth. A fistula developed but no one told me what it was. The dentist sent me back to the surgeon who basically said it meant it didn't work and the tooth would need to be extracted. I did not realize the seriousness of it and did nothing about it for two years as it did not really hurt. Now the dentist has referred me to a surgeon for an extraction and implant. Now that I know it is called a fistula I googled it at that led me to this site. Now I am concerned I have waited too long and there might be bone damage and other problems. I have attached the xray. Please give me your opinion. Thanks

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote