View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Pravs,

The adjacent tooth with "the little infection" is just as much a part of the infection issue as the tooth you just had extracted. One tooth infected the other and so on. The infection in this tooth can be infecting the graft. So it was not real wise for the dentist to put the bone graft in the bone next to an infected tooth. The findings on the CT pertaining to the sinus are more than likely directly correlated with the infected teeth.

It makes no sense to extract one infected tooth and leave the other infected one in there .... place a bone graft in infected bone... and then send you to the ENT due to the sinus infection from the dental infection. Can you see the pattern and history of the infection and the reason why it is still brewing?

The ENT cannot do anything for you and antibiotics will be useless as long as the infected tooth is present as that is a major contributing factor to the sinus problems. Extracting this other infected tooth will most likely result in removal of the graft placed in the adjacent area. Please consult with a new oral surgeon as the dentist who has treated you may not be ideal for your situation. You would need all of your xrays and scans to consult with a new oral surgeon.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravs View Post
Further updates:
I went to the dentist yesterday about the swelling and pain on the same side as bone graft. Nothing came up on normal X-rays. Cone beam scan showed little infection on the tooth next to the area with bone graft. But the Cone beam scan also showed unhealthy sinus. So now, she has referred me to an ENT and another dentist for root canal on the tooth.
Please advise if root canal is the right way as the infection is very little or I can ignore it and later get it extracted.(By the way, this tooth with minor infection is the same one where dentist had earlier suggested onlay).

Thanks
Pravs

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote