View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Bryanna
I had a the comprehensive exam and full series X-rays done this week. I see the oral surgeon for a consultation tomorrow. My dentist thinks I should get an implant as he thinks a bridge would weaken the adjacent teeth. I hate to lose more teeth. I am a 68 year old female. Is it likely bone graft would work at my age. If there is sinus communication what should be done? Is it your opinion that implants are better than a bridge? I read in the forum I should ask about scraping and the ligaments. What other questions should I ask at the consultation?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi ddd,

Thank you for posting the xray. It is not ideally diagnostic but the infection is quite apparent.

Yes, you have a moderate size infection with tooth #3 which has been brewing for at least 10 years as the root canal procedure and apico are not procedures that can cure an infected tooth. They are done to attempt to retain an unhealthy tooth for an uncertain amount of time. So it's important that you understand that this infection is ongoing for over 10 years.

When this tooth is extracted, there is going to be substantial bone loss due to the infection and possible sinus communication. It may not be an ideal site for a dental implant. Please discuss those issues in a consultation with the oral surgeon.

Have you had a complete comprehensive dental examination and full mouth series (18-20) xrays done? I ask because on this one xray tooth #4 and #2 look a bit suspicious regarding vitality. You also have some moderate+ bone loss associated with all 4 teeth in this picture so you may also have that elsewhere. It would behoove you to have that full examination and xrays done prior to any dental treatment if possible.

It really helps to get an overall picture of your dental health before you undergo any dental treatment just in case there are issues with the adjacent teeth. I think you would agree that the goal is to spend as little, although productive and warranted time, in the dental chair as possible.

You will be okay... you just need to follow through and not put this off any longer. Please keep posted....
Bryanna
ddd49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote