View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thoughts

Hi Nikon-
Just a couple of thoughts from a mom's point of view on the counseling that I have been through. As a mom, I am desperate to help my daughter with any tool that I may have. If it is a chance at helping my daughter get better, I look at options and decided if it is worth it. Talking to the counselor is an option that can be helpful in so many ways and selfishly, can be another way I can try and help my daughter. I know one of the hardest things she has had to do is try to find a way to open up and talk and one of the ways her therapist has tried is to talk about all sorts of other things to get to know her and to start a line of conversation. The therapist may just be trying to break the ice, get to know you and give you something that you are confident in to talk about, working up to talking about RSD. She may be trying to learn how you best cope and handle situations so she can guide you with RSD better--why try techniques you've tried in the past that didn't work?

You are probably the teacher here in teaching your therapist about RSD. She might not know what to say when bringing it up.

It is quite common for therapists to talk individually with parents during therapy. The dreaded RSD affects so much in a family that often it helps moms and dads to talk it out. My daughter's therapist was also very good at telling me to try and relax a bit.

Allen-
I have severe TMJ, no cartilage left in one of my joints, and most gone in the other. I have had it for years and the only solution I have found that has been incredibly helpful is to get a splint from my dentist. I wear it every night and can tell when it is just a bit off. I have mostly done away with headaches from my TMJ etc. I have cracked and broken many teeth from grinding and clenching and this splint has really helped. It is not an athletic protection splint but one for TMJ. Wearing it has also helped my back as I am not so tense in the morning, and saved my teeth!

As far as panic attacks go, while my daughter doesn't seem to have these, I have them all the time. I am so on edge for both of my girls that they are going to get hurt (my other daughter has had symptoms of RSD) and that her RSD is going to spread etc. Thanks to everyone here for helping me along the way, it is a good place to go when I am panicked as everyone here helps me get through each one.