View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Balance is maybe the slowest to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec60661 View Post
Reaching out to Senior members tonight because I am really struggling with balance and walking.

I was diagnosed with PN in November (EMG test) and started B12 therapy mid-December; we suspected the cause was long term use of PPI med and 18 months of high-dose metformin. I had mild symptoms for years (numb toes that I pretty much ignored) but symptoms accelerated rapidly: Ankles stiff, numb feet, pain, cramping in lower legs and back of legs all the way up. I manage symptoms with 300mg's Nuerontin and 400 mgs NSAIDS 4x per day.

There has been no progression of PN symptoms and I am even noticing improvement in my upper body, but walking and balance is worsening. I am very unsteady on my feet and cannot walk more than a couple of blocks without experiencing pain and weakness in my lower legs. I also walk much slower than I used to and I think I walk "like a drunk" ... people are starting to notice!

What have others experienced when first diagnosed?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
I tried all the U-tube exercizes focused on balance and as soon as I closed my eyes I would topple over. I had to use a walker to walk for a while as leg strength went down also. But that got better. I had to hold on to the shower head and hope that the pipes held. That is better but still dicey when eyes are closed and looking upward. I installed grab bars in the bath so to have three points of contact while getting in and out of tub and also to push off from toilet. I tried walking on grass as was suggested and yes it's terrifying and uses muscles differently but the improvement is soooo sloooow. I got a spin bike and do daily time on it, easy to manage and stretches hips and knees and ankles. I never found any one thing that was good for balance except patience. Sorry for being a smarta$$ I am almost three years in and had your symptoms before gitting in a fender-bender.My legs got stronger after my b-12 got up around 900+. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.
zkrp01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote