Thread: C5 Palsy
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default C5 palsy

J developed C5 P palsy as a result of spinal surgery at C4,5 and 6. My experiences were very similar to Jeff’s, but. only my right arm was affected -- that was bad enough. The palsy began after the second of 4 surgeries i underwent in 2013. -14. Woke up after the surgery unable to move my arm. The surgeons had few answers except that this was a rare side effect of surgery on the C5 vertebrate and it could take 6 months- a year to regain usage. They also admitted that some patients recover less than 100 per cent, They couldn’t predict how well i would do and referred me for occupational and physical therapy --- and that was what saved me. Also told me i had to be patient.

So i started to feel some improvement after about 3 months, but it took over a year for my arm to really be functional. i did my exercises religiously. Right now, i think its about 80 % recovered and i think that's as good as it will get, i can use it but itt's weaker than my left arm.

I also couldn’t find much info on C5 palsy. i found it interesting that there are screening procedures. i was never told about this by the docs, and they never told me about the possibility of this side effect occurring. Given the lack of info on C5 palsy, I think its important for patients to share their experiences, to hopefully move the research forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastek View Post
I had posterior decompression surgery at C4 - C6. After surgery, I developed C5 Palsy in both arms. Both arms are basically paralyzed.

Doctors say that in 70 % of cases, the function is regained, but I am afraid that mine is more severe than most cases and I will not get it back. All the doctors say that mine is the worst they have seen (both arms and complete inability to use arms).

One arm has started to regain movement, but the other arm is still completely paralyzed and has not improved ay all.

Has anyone else had this condition and can you share your experience (how long it took to get use back and how gradual was the recovery)?

Thanks.
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote