View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 04:12 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

brownehm,

The concussed brain is far less tolerant of any kind of stress. Food energy is a key factor in helping the brain function during stress.

I rarely have any sensation of hunger. I have not felt true hunger since I was 15 or so.

I eat for two reasons:

Discipline, I know I function better when I eat regular meals, especially breakfast.

I am crashing and I can tell I need food energy to get my brain out of the crash. Some times, the crash has not happened but I recognize it is coming. It is very subtle. A banana, an apple, a small cup of rolled oats with raisins and maybe a dozen dark chocolate chips, a slice of cheese and some crackers, etc.

I find 150 to 200 calories will pick me up out of a cognitive funk in about 20 minutes or so.

I also eat so I can sleep. The brain consumes a lot of calories during sleep. Some of us have to be discipline to feed our brains so we can get the proper restorative sleep we need. I have dinner at 5 to 6 and by 12, I need food energy. So, I have 200 calories and can sleep through the night. I wake up 7 or 8 hours later because I need more food energy.

The human body needs a meal about ever 8 hours.

Just because you could break this rule does not mean you can now that your brain has been injured.

I am 5'11" and weight 160 pounds. I was 149 pounds 2 years ago. I was gaunt. My doctor told me to gain some weight.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
brownehn (03-06-2016)