View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

the title "high dopamine diet" is misleading, dopamine is not found in food and if it was, it can't pass through the blood brain barrier so is of no use.

i find that as an advanced pd'er, i cannot eat any protein an hour before i take my carbidopa/levodopa and if i lose control and eat too much protein it can be as much as 3 hours. this was not a major problem when first diagnosed.

here's some information on protein/amino acids affecting pd l-dopa.
http://forum.parkinson.org/index.php...in#entry106416

here's something else to think about. how much dopamine does the brain need so we can "move"? well, what's the maximum amount of an agonist one takes in a day, 24mg?
that may not be the correct number but points to a very small amount of dopamine needed. agonists are dopamine analogs so i assume molecularly one agonist molecule has the same affect as one levodopa molecule. the bottom line is you don't need much.

think about it, if all the tyrosine found in a 8oz steak was converted to dopamine we'd be in a world of trouble. maybe some of it gets stored in the brain, but what about those people who are in all you can eat contests, they don't die from dopamine overload, the brain tightly controls dopamine production, once enough is made there is a feedback mechanism that stops production.

on the flip side,people who fast for a long time don't develop pd, their body starts breaking down muscle to produce dopamine i assume.

sure we have pd because we don't produce enough dopamine but unless we aren't taking in enough of the vitamins and minerals needed to produce dopamine from amino acids and are getting the daily min. requirement of protein and your're eating complete proteins in my opinion someone with pd should worry more about foods which you shouldn't eat within a hour or 2 of taking your l-dopa.

Last edited by soccertese; 02-13-2016 at 11:44 AM.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote