View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Ness and everyone,

So once again, the "sharply demarcated" edema and nail grooves are two symptoms of RSD that have to be seen as part of a whole picture. Having or not having those two signs (or not having them) does not rule RSD in or out. So it's just like everything else, unfortunately. I know I definitely wish there was something that proved or disproved the diagnosis! Unfortunately, all this stuff can be caused by a few different conditions. It's only when you put the big picture together that it's seen to be RSD.

For those with full-body RSD, I believe that the sharply demarcated edema does not apply. It refers to an abrupt end to swelling where the rest of the symptoms also end. It often occurs with ligature marks (looks like a string has been tightened around the area). I get all of that at times, but I believe it's from my sock, actually. It doesn't occur on my good leg though. After I take off my socks at night, often have a deep groove around my RSD leg for hours, whereas the light depressions on the other side fade within a few minutes.

As for the beau's lines, they're REALLY ugly. I had them bilaterally, and it took a year or so for them to grow out. Sorry I don't have a picture of it...I kind of didn't want anyone to ever see it. It looked really disgusting!

Other nail problems can occur with RSD too, not just ridges and beau's lines (two slightly different things...ridges are like weird bumps on the nail and beau's lines are straight marks where the nail stopped growing---it's like one side of the mark is much thicker than the other). Nails can be soft or thickened. I notice that on my RSD side, my nails are thicker but crumble easily. Makes it really hard to clip them...I never end up with a smooth line.

Hope this helps a little!
-Betsy
betsyherm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote