Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Hiker56,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

There are many things that can cause and can help with headaches and fatigue. Without more information about your injury, diagnostics and treatment, it is hard to respond. Your daily lifestyle and activities can impact your symptoms, too.

Please feel free to tell us about yourself and your injury.

My best to you.
Thank you both. Doozer, I'm inclined to agree with you about the drugs covering up symptoms, not curing them... however, I'm not sure where else to turn with the headaches and exhaustion?

I had my concussion in Nov 2015, so I'm just past 3 months out now. It was a freak accident, I had been sitting under a piece of playground equipment, spinning my daughter on it. She got up and ran off elsewhere, and I sat there on the ground for a few minutes. She fell, and I got up quickly to help her, not realizing that the piece of equipment was rotated in such a way that it was directly over my head. I slammed my head into it as I stood up.

At this point I feel like I'm not satisfied with what my treatment has entailed, but I am looking for direction in going forward. Things I have tried: OTC pain meds (completely unhelpful, they don't touch the pain), 800 mg of ibuprofen (possibly slightly helpful in taking the edge off of my pain, but not convincingly), baclofen (used for a short time just to be able to sleep despite the pain), tramadol (made the pain worse), Effexor (made the pain worse), and Nortriptyline. I think I originally saw some improvements in the headaches after starting Nortriptyline but am not sure if it's helping much anymore or not. I can't tell.

I've also tried various home remedies for headaches, like peppermint oil and soaking my feet in hot water while using an ice pack on my head. Or relaxation techniques to reduce muscle tension/encourage deep breathing. No significant help from those either.

At this point it feels like my neurologist's main plan is just to try med after med and see if something helps. She did not think an MRI was needed, she said she didn't think it would show anything. I have not found her all that communicative, and would like to find someone who will engage with me a bit more in terms of figuring out a treatment plan.

I was previously very active before this and enjoyed climbing mountains, running, and generally being active. While I do a few light workouts a week, it's generally much more difficult due to the exhaustion factor. I stay at home with my two kids (both under 5). I do find that disturbed sleep is a huge trigger for worse headaches, as is PMS. Haven't noticed any other triggers at this point.

Hope I provided some helpful information. Thanks for your responses.
Hiker56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote