View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 04:24 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

So, I've been taking the 50k dosage of Vitamin D (D2) for three weeks. Thursday will be my fourth dose. I think they call it a "loading dose".

Since I started taking the vit D to rebuild my non-existent store of the stuff, I've noticed a few things. Some of the numbness that I've had has let up. Where it might have been bone numb in some spots, it's now tingly, like a lot of bugs crawling on me, making my skin tickle. Not totally annoying, because it's better than being bone numb. My proprioception is still screwed up tho in my feet.

When I took the third dose of vit D last week, I did it at something like four in the morning. I didn't want to forget to take it, and it's not like I have to take it at a specific time. It's just once a week. I went to bed after taking it. Woke up two or three hours later to use the potty, and that's when I noticed the change in the numbness.

Also, last week, before I had that third dose. I started to notice that I felt physically better. I've actually started to feel better in little bits. I'm not as exhausted as I'd been. Granted, I still feel pretty sick, but I'm feeling good enough now to actually notice a difference between feeling like total crap, and slightly less crappy.

I got to meet my brand new neuro last week. When I told her about the vit D deficiency, and how low it was. She said that was "critically low". Said she wasn't surprised that I had been feeling as bad as I've been. She said that there's a possibility that when I get my vit D levels back up, and do some PT, and core body strength PT. I might be able to dump the walker I've been using. I will believe it when I can fold the thing up, and stick it in the corner, and pile dirty clothes on it. I really do not believe that it's going to cure the bad walking.

There is a problem going on tho. I've been feeling some pretty bad pain in my knees. It really hurts to walk. I'm not sure why. I don't know if I ended up making my bones soft and weak, and that's why it hurts. Or if there's something else going on that's not related to the vit D or the MS. It's just really painful. The joint in my left middle finger hurts kind of bad too. (no. I have not been getting a repetitive stress injury from using my middle finger in bad traffic). My neck, on the right side from the top of my shoulder, to just below my ear, has been hurting a lot too over the past year. It still hurts a lot, but that's letting up. No idea if it's my pillows on my bed, or if it's the vit D deficiency.

I'm kind of worried that the deficiency might have triggered osteomalacia. (softening of the bone). So, now I have to figure out what kind of doctor to see to get the bones checked out. (orthopedic doctors?).

I also want to have my heart checked out, because vit D is important for heart health, and since I have a family history of heart problems in relatives.

Just can't believe that it seems most of the trouble I've been having to deal with for the past few years could be just because I'm low on a vitamin. (bit of trivia, vit D is actually a hormone). Hopefully I've gotten it dealt with fast enough, since it was making my MS worse. (that's what the neuro attributed the worsening MS symptoms to).

I have to admit, that I've been occasionally taking one of the low dose vit D's (D3, 1000 IU's). I've only done that over the weekends, maybe about three times. Also, at night before I go to bed. And yes, when I've done that, I've woken up a few hours later, to feel a slight change in the numbness. I've been really cautious about taking the D3. I don't want to over-do taking the vit D. Which is why I've avoided piling it on. I'm going to wait till after the high dose vit D2 Rx is over to start taking the D3 every day.

I am so hoping that this is going to help my nerves recover, and make me feel not so sick. I can't wait till spring, when it's warm enough to sit outside and get my vit D the old fashioned way from the sun.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote