View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Rick,

I'm doing well thanks ... hope all is good by you too!
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was away for a few days.

Before you do the implant, it is wise to have the sinus checked out more thoroughly. It is not uncommon (although often misdiagnosed) to have residual infection lurking in the area of a previously root canaled tooth. This would account, at least in part, for the chronic inflammation and "sinus" infection that antibiotics are not clearing up. There could be other irritants adding to the problem but the probability of it being related to the original tooth infection is something that needs to be evaluated, treated, or ruled out prior to placing the implant.

I think it's important to keep in mind that your maxillary arch and sinuses are in close proximity to your brain. So chronic infection in that area can migrate beyond it's original source over time. It is imperative that the jaw bone and the sinus are healthy and free of infection before you place a dental implant. Anything less than healthy predisposes you to infection, bone loss and failure of the implant.

If you have not seen an Ear Nose and Throat physician, then it may be a good idea to do so. Sinus scans are used to detect generalized sinus problems which may be useful in your case. While 3D dental scans are good at detecting abnormal pathology in the maxillary arch and certain areas of the maxillary sinus which may also be useful in your case.

Bryanna

=XFitRick;1198820]Hey Bryanna,

Hope all is well on your end.

I haven't had seasonal allergies for a few years (when i eliminated dairy from diet). However, since the procedure, I've been congested, bad oder from nasal drip and am now on my third round of antibiotics (Augmentin) for what appears to be a continued sinus infection. The communication (opening) seems to have closed, though I can feel pressure at the site (no airflow) when I blow my nose w/mouth closed. I feel like I need to add a decongestant to minimize the strain from blowing nose, etc.

Should I shoot for the implant now and get all that healing time out of the way?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote