Thread: Nerve Block?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 03:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Epidural Steriod injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkynose View Post
My doctor suggested a nerve block at L5-S1 to help rule in or out my lumbar spine as a cause of my neuropathy symptoms. I have never been a fan of steroids but I am considering it for 2 reasons:

1) It would be really great to know if this is the cause so I could make lifetime adjustments accordingly.
2) To give me some relief even though temporary

I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has had a nerve block or knows anything about them.

I do not plan to do this more than once. I'm sure if it takes away the symptoms and makes me feel normal again it will be hard to resist. Opinions on how slippery a slope this is would be great too.

My PN symptoms developed 2 nights after a lumbar epidural injection. I woke up in the middle of the night and thought someone came in and chopped off my big toe...symptoms quickly progressed up my feet and legs during the following days and weeks.( I think I gave my details in an earlier post.) This occurred October of 2013, unfortunately I am still struggling with PN. I would definitely find out what type of steroid they would be using. I received Kenolog which is not labeled for epidural use. It contains benzyl alcohol which is a neurotoxin. Many doctors still use it routinely. I have idiopathic SFN and large fibers also involved. Not sure if it was the trauma of the injection or an autoimmune response. No one on this forum at the time had any ideas or similar situation. I have been to many doctors since this began and only one neurologist would say that it was a direct result of the injection. She has since moved on as this was at the medical teaching hospital in my state.
Lukesmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (02-16-2016)