View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 01:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin524 View Post
Were you leaning on your elbow? Or have your elbow bent in an odd position for awhile?

My hands will go (more) numb sometimes when I'm sitting certain ways, probably because I'm putting pressure on the "funny bone" nerve in some weird way. The ulnar nerve is the nerve responsible for things going on in the pinky and ring fingers. (actually, it's only half of the ring finger. The other half of the ring finger uses the median nerve, and the median is responsible for the feeling in the rest of the fingers. The median nerve is the one where carpal tunnel syndrome occurs)

Also, for some reason I have issues with the median nerve. Sometimes when my pinky and ring fingers go numb, the rest of the fingers might have issues too. I think sometimes it's how I'm holding my arm, and I might be putting pressure in the wrong spots on both nerves at the same time. I know I had issues with carpal tunnel back in the 1990s. I had surgery on the right hand. Never did anything with the left hand tho. That's the one that I have ulnar nerve, and median nerve issues with a lot.

If it bothers you, or gets painful, have your doctor check it out. Sometimes not everything nerve related in an MSer is actually related to the MS. There might be other reasons for it, like bad posture, or arm position for hand numbness.
No, I had just walked from the kitchen into the living room and sat down. I do have carpal tunnel, which, if I lean on my elbow for an extended period of time, does make my pinky and half of my ring finger go numb. But it wasn't the same. The carpal tunnel makes my 2 fingers go completely, dead numb and as soon as I move, the feeling comes right back. This was never fully numb. It was very tingly and almost numb and then radiated from one finger to the next. This was definitely something I've never experienced before.

At this point, with having carpal tunnel for so many years, I can definitely tell what is carpal tunnel and what isn't. This definitely was not. I'm still so confused over it - it scared me a bit.
cdwyer49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote