View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 01:14 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthgirl View Post
Thanks Aklash,
It's been 2 years. I tried pt for 2 months in the beginning and it made me much worse. Increased dizziness, dysphagia, and jaw pain, and lost even more range of motion.
This could be because your PT exercises pulled more on the sensitive neck structures and made things worse. The arms literally hang off of the scapula, and the scapula in turn is suspended off the back and neck. IMO, if you do any exercises, please just use your hands and no weights. When they are ok, move to heavier things.

Quote:
There is also nerve damage all over my body which adds to this, so it is an unusual combination case I guess.
About the shoulders and traps, I have always had weak shoulders despite the amount of weight lifting and push ups I did, but i didnt listen to my body and made my self do it anyway because I wanted to be "healthy and fit". I started to realize in the end that it wasn't normal human activity to do reps and to exercise this way. I notice that after 2 years of being unable to work out, my traps still look muscular and the rest of my body has gone to crap. I've never heard of overactive sets of muscle groups before. That is interesting.
I am glad to have helped in any way..
Pain/trauma shuts off key core muscles. Their synergists take over. They in turn "overactivate" their antagonists.
For instance, if you have neck pain, a key muscle that gets overactive is the pec minor group since its (relatively) less connected to the neck. It in turn will start a process wherein your lats (which are its antagonist, fire more) to keep pec minor in check. Lats will extend your lumbar spine. Suddenly, you not only have neck pain but lower back pain also. If this happens on one side, and not the other, you now have signs of postural asymmetry. Another thing lats do is make it hard for you to raise your arm. Suddenly, picking up things is harder.. the body is one giant interconnected system... and if you do gentle stretches (and dont have pain) then mark it as a +. If the other way, stop and dont go any further
Akash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote