View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Welcome

Hi welcome to us...

I have had first rib resection and scalenectomy. I too was scared but in my case it too was the last option.....I felt instant relief of pain......the pressure was gone immediately post op the pain I had was acute and not the nerve and chronic pain I felt. The post op pain was considerable and the people doing your surgery will have you set up with pain meds and keep you comfortable. You have to ensure this continues when you go home as well.

You may have a chest tube and it will be a little uncomfortable until it comes out. I felt as if someone was sitting on my chest for about three weeks after you will feel intense pain if not managed well. Acute pain is easier to treat then chronic.....make sure if you are already on meds that you get them to take this into consideration post op so that you are not in agony....this happened to me.....They did not listen to how much medication I was on and had to get it sorted...took quite some time but it worked out!!!

Patience is key! I found it hard to ask for help after the surgery but you don't want to undo all the surgery so get help for all things that cause pain post op....hopefully you won't have pain doing something......

Take care,
Victoria

How poor are they who have not patience!
What wound did ever heal but by degrees.

gibbrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote