View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 08:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi folks,

I'm currently receiving employer- based disability for SFN (I've also submitted a mandatory application in for SSI....almost a year now!) Granted, I have both autonomic and sensory neuropathy. ...with the former being the most disabling (I can't sit up for longer than two hours at a time on a good day.....I have severe orthostatic intolerance). However, as Elaine suggests, I'm sure intractable pain would be an acceptable reason for disability if the evidence is there that confirms work is impossible.

The disability thread here on NT has lots of good information, and, of course you can ask questions. My employer insurer demands frequent updates....full statements from all physicians, test results, etc. every six months, and shorter forms from main docs more frequently. They've been great. Getting SSI is far more problematic (vastly underfunded). I've read it's probably best to get a lawyer if that is to be your sole source of support.

But be careful about what you wish for....I miss my job terribly. I feel my grief and depression about giving up a career I loved (seven years of grad school!) are making my symptoms so much worse...I had thought until very recently this was a leave..... I do have the option to return part-time, but my neurologist told me just today to forget it. I'm 61 now, so I'm trying to be philosophical....but I thought I would work until I was doddering.
SylvieM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DavidHC (02-18-2016), ShaggyChic_1201 (02-18-2016), zkrp01 (02-19-2016)