View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 11:10 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Wink Pregnancy, RSD, Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis & Endometriosis

Hello all.... I don't usually post, but after reading your thread & seeing so many young women wanting answers or advice, I felt I should! I was diagnosed with severe endometriosis when I was 13, & RSD, Fibromyalgia, & Interstitial Cystitis when I was 18. I am now 33 & as any of you with these pain diseases well know, the last 15 years has been filled with pain, hospitalization, being a guinea pig for meds, a string of doctors or nurses who don't understand or care to learn about them, depression, etc. I was told at a young age I would never get pregnant. Well.... SURPRISE! I am now 24 weeks pregnant! I thought I had the flu & a bad flare. My periods have never been regular, sometimes bleeding for months on end, sometimes disappearing for.months. This pregnancy was a HUGE SHOCK! I will not say it is easy. But YOU CAN have a baby despite these diseases! Yes, it threw me into a huge flare. Yes, it is painful. But it can be managed! My OB upped my Gabapentin to deal with pain since you do have to drop all anti-inflamitories & strong pain meds. It is hard, but my baby is perfect! There are meds that won't affect the baby & can get you thru it. I was adopted myself, & spent many years trying to come to terms with the fact I'd never have a baby of my own, someone who might look like me etc. Especially now at age 33, I'd accepted I'd just be that eccentric Auntie who spoiled her nieces & nephews. I wish someone had at least told me that there might be a chance one day to be a mom. I am all for adoption, but I hate for such young girls to think they have been robbed of their chance at pregnancy because they are in pain & are disabled by these awful diseases. You need to find an OB that understands these conditions & the pharmacology of medicines that can help you but not hurt the baby. This isn't easy, but it's possible. Your partner needs to understand that you may be nearly impossible to deal with & incredibly snappy & in flares for 9 months & willing to support you as you learn to deal with a new baby & your pain. I know I'll need help adjusting at first, but this pregnancy has taught me that there is always a way it can be managed. I may not ever be a mom who can run around on the playground with my son, but I KNOW that no one else could love, nurture, or teach him better than me. I can share my intelligence with him. I can teach him that no matter what life throws your way, you can overcome it. I can teach him that strength doesn't have to be physical, it can be the strength of love, intelligence, character & compassion. Yes I am in more pain than ever before right now, but I have something incredible to look forward to in 16 more weeks!
TardisMari is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catra121 (02-19-2016), IamJenn (02-20-2016), Inspiretoday (02-23-2016), knottywheelz (03-10-2016), Littlepaw (02-20-2016), PurpleFoot721 (02-19-2016)