View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ddd,

Have you been informed that you have moderate bone loss in between all of your upper right teeth? It is very apparent on the xray that you posted here.

Frequently, this type of bone loss is present throughout the mouth, especially in the posterior regions. Has your general dentist done a periodontal probing of the pocket depths of all of your teeth? This is something that should be done once a year in all adults, especially those with bone loss.

The reason I bring this up is because if you have uncontrolled periodontal disease, you may not be a healthy candidate for a dental implant as periodontal disease is in of itself a bacterial infection. How long have you been seeing this general dentist? Does he do the teeth cleanings or does he have a hygienist? You mentioned that he is old fashioned.... that's not necessarily a good thing if he is not up to date with his technology and still practices old school dentistry.

Also, placing an implant in the area of a previously root canaled tooth is risky due to the longevity of the infection. Sometimes it is better to extract the tooth along with a thorough surgical debridement and then let the site heal for several months to ensure that there is no residual infection. If you do have a sinus perforation, then placing the implant is even riskier.

I am providing you with all of this information because you requested to be informed as much as possible. Ideally, before you consider replacing this tooth, it would be beneficial to know what your periodontal status is and how healthy those adjacent teeth are to tooth #3.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd49 View Post
I was wrong, my consultation with the oral surgeon was not until today. He did a CT scan. He said everything looked good but tooth # 3. He showed me the tooth had three roots and the areas of infection visible. He explained about the possibility of sinus communication and said it often heals without treatment. The plan is to extract the tooth removing any fragments if it breaks. He will scrape the area removing areas of infection. He thinks he can do an immediate implant base surrounded by bone graft powder. I think he said there was about 9 cm of bone that looked good. I think he said there may be dissolving stitches. He prescribed amoxicillin 500 mg and peridex oral rinse starting one day before and continuing after. I have not scheduled a date yet. Does this sound like a good plan?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote