View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 11:29 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

My general dentist does have a hygienist. I do not think he has done probing at least not measuring any pockets. I have seen this dentist for almost 30 years.
The oral surgeon did say he would have to decide for sure about whether to do the implant that day or wait until later after he extracts the tooth and evaluates the hole left and the pockets in the bone. I did question him about infection coming back after the implant and he said I would need to floss and care for for the implant like any other tooth but did not really address infection remaining in the bone. I will call and ask more questions. Thanks for all the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi ddd,

Have you been informed that you have moderate bone loss in between all of your upper right teeth? It is very apparent on the xray that you posted here.

Frequently, this type of bone loss is present throughout the mouth, especially in the posterior regions. Has your general dentist done a periodontal probing of the pocket depths of all of your teeth? This is something that should be done once a year in all adults, especially those with bone loss.

The reason I bring this up is because if you have uncontrolled periodontal disease, you may not be a healthy candidate for a dental implant as periodontal disease is in of itself a bacterial infection. How long have you been seeing this general dentist? Does he do the teeth cleanings or does he have a hygienist? You mentioned that he is old fashioned.... that's not necessarily a good thing if he is not up to date with his technology and still practices old school dentistry.

Also, placing an implant in the area of a previously root canaled tooth is risky due to the longevity of the infection. Sometimes it is better to extract the tooth along with a thorough surgical debridement and then let the site heal for several months to ensure that there is no residual infection. If you do have a sinus perforation, then placing the implant is even riskier.

I am providing you with all of this information because you requested to be informed as much as possible. Ideally, before you consider replacing this tooth, it would be beneficial to know what your periodontal status is and how healthy those adjacent teeth are to tooth #3.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Please let us know how you're doing.

Bryanna
ddd49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote