View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default SBTBAB3 - I can relate

Hi Mickey, I can totally relate and feel your pain. I had a virus January 2015 and 2 huge holes formed in the roof of my mouth that were infected and filled with pus. The ear, nose, throat doctor never gave an exact diagnosis of what it was but coxsackie and herpengina were mentioned and biopsy was negative for cancer.

Then February I got first symptoms of "neuropathy". Also, an important factor, I am Type 1 diabetic. I was originally diagnosed Type 2 about 6 years ago and then after losing about 40-50 pounds, doctor ran a C-peptide test and found out I am Type 1 in April 2015 and went on insulin pump and sensor. However, like I said, had some kind of virus in January and the neuropathy started in February and progressed very quickly to SEVERE pain in feet and legs.

Also experience what I describe as electric shock randomly all over my body. Then in May, started having jaw pain on left side when I eat. Now, the doctors I was seeing, primary, neurologist all said "Oh it's just diabetic neuropathy". But I believe it's some other type of neuropathy (like what you and others are describing). Finally just went to a new neurologist and he agrees (Thank God).

I just had a left lumbar sympathetic nerve block yesterday and I feel some relief but not what I had hoped. I have been taking for a while 3600 mg/day of Gabapentin and a pain medicine and just started on Oxstellar 1200 mg/day about 1 week ago. I tried Lyrica, nortryptaline, Fetzima, etc. but either had nasty side effects (Lyrica) or no relief. I think the virus triggered something and somehow it's all related.
What exactly is acute small fiber neuropathy? My new neurologist mentioned something like that but also said it could be an auto-immune neuropathy. I'm in my mid 40's and have a family and I'm looking for any kind of answers cause living like this is horrible and a struggle to make it through each day!!!
SBTBAB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote