View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default weigh your options carefully

I have had 2 successful pregnancies prior to my diagnosis of CRPS since 2006. My older boys are now 21 and 11 and when my youngest was only 1 years old this crazy disease took hold of my life. In the beginning it was difficult, but I really did well as far as taking care of them, my house and working full time. 7 years after being diagnosed, my husband and I wanted to have another child. We were hoping for a little girl So together with my OBGYN who researched CRPS, we went ahead and did treatments for me to get pregnant after trying for over a year and not getting anywhere. I was feeling like I was getting older by the second and it was the "time" for me to have another one or else I wouldn't want to have any more because I knew that as time went on that my crazy disease would make it more and more difficult. So.....in 2013 I gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL healthy baby girl. I was told by my OB, my PM and my pediatrician that I needed to continue with my medications because if I stopped, the chances of losing our precious baby in utereo was very very high. At the time I was only on Oxycodone and Klonipin. They did not want me to take any of the other medications that they had prescribed. They also monitored me much more than a normal pregnancy one because I was older and two because of the disease and meds. So obviously I was considered VERY high risk. I was also told that I needed to breastfeed her because she would essentially be born like a "crack" baby and weaning her early on as an infant could possibly put me into major flares because of the effects of not having the meds in her system. So I did as I was told, really didn't have a "bad" pregnancy. It felt different from my boys as I was way more nauseous. BUT I completely went into remission during my pregnancy. It was wonderful because for the first time in for ever I didn't feel the burning pain that was always constant with me. I continued to work all the way up until the day I gave birth and I was only out on leave for 3 months when I returned to work. I would wake up at 0500 to nurse her, pump right after, get ready for work, have some coffee and breakfast and get her ready for daycare and was out the door by 0630. I don't know if the euphoria of it all over took me but I felt fine for a really long time, maybe a year or so and then after that year was up this evil disease came upon me with a vengence. I was under a lot of stress at work as well so maybe that's a reason too but oh my goodness it was really bad. She is now 2 1/2 and will be 3 in June and I have been in a major flare for over 3 months now. But she is much more independent and I have my husband and boys to help when I'm in too much pain to deal with the world. She still nurses at night....mostly for comfort than anything else and that alone is painful but I have to really just bite thru it and push thru the pain because I have no idea how to get her off my boob! I would offer this to you.....it is not a bad idea for you to decide to have children of your own but you also need to weigh in all the factors about this disease and how it will affect you. You may be like me and go thru a remission while pregnant but do you have tons of support to help you when you give birth and this evil disease comes back to shatter your happiness? Talk to your PM doc as well as your OB and look for a pediatrician who is willing to research the effects of CRPS on your baby. Do TONS of research first before diving in. It's not easy having this disease and then adding on a baby. I wouldn't take any of it back because I have been tremendously blessed to have my mini me but like I said, it's not easy and there will be days where you just cant do anything and thats including taking care of your kids. I do hope you have the support you will need from family or friends because you will truly need it!!! So please weigh your options carefully. There are days where I can barely interact with my family and I am stuck on the bed in pain. They deserve to have me be apart of their lives and I deserve to be there as well, but sometimes I can't and that makes me so very sad and depressed. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to choose.
IamJenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
knottywheelz (03-10-2016), Littlepaw (02-20-2016), PurpleFoot721 (02-21-2016)