View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 06:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have a great deal of pain since contracting MG. Most of the time it comes in the form of muscle cramps and spasms. Often, one spasm will set off another in another part of my body and I get a cascading effect. Because the majority of the literature doesn't speak of pain associated with MG, my doctor refused to give me anything that worked. We did try various nsaids with no results. It affected my ability to sleep and my primary ordered a sleep study which showed that I was getting zero percent stage three and REM sleep. He then prescribed narcotics for pain, ordered another sleep study which showed marked improvement in all stages.

One strange effect that I'm having with the pain meds though, and while I don't want to hijack you thread, I would be grateful if anyone would weigh in on this if they've had similar experiences - is this: I am taking hydrocodone 10/325mg. I have had this medication prescribed to me a few times over my lifetime and the result was always the same - drowsiness along with the pain relief. However, taking it now, has almost exactly opposite results. I take a pain pill and within thirty minutes, I feel almost normal. My strength returns almost completely for three to four hours, I don't need my cane...I feel pre-MG normal.

I can't imagine a reason for this side effect, but I am certainly not complaining. The only drawback is that I am poignantly aware of the addictive qualities of opiates, and so I limit myself to significantly less than what is prescribed. I am prescribed 20 mg a day (600mg/month) - and I have been restricting myself to about 200mg/month. This means I am often going a couple of days without - in between taking it. Today, I was having a very bad day and I allowed myself my maximum dosage, which I set at three pills throughout the day - but I have not had any for two days and I will refrain tomorrow. But it's curious.
angell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote