View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 12:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseKris View Post
I wonder if the level 3 trauma center was even equipped to handle his injuries. The nature of his accident I feel he should have gone to a level 1 center. I assume he came in on a backboard and c-collar so he would need to be cleared before removing these items. Also even though he was wearing a helmet he still should have been assessed for a head injury.

I'm not a trauma nurse but my sister previously spent several years as a trauma nurse in a high volume level 1 trauma center so I asked her. He should have had x-rays of his neck, back and pelvis in addition to any other areas of concern. They really should have done a head CT just to rule out any possible head injury. Some docs would also do an abdominal CT as well.

I know it can be a pain but you may have to drive a little further to see a proper orthopod, but it may be worth it. I think I mentioned it further, but as any swelling subsides it may reveal an injury that was masked by swelling. I really hope you can find a good doctor that will give him the care he needs.

Keep us posted!
This is where I go on assessment vs reported.

He WALKED to the ambulance. No backboard. No c-collar.
A/O x 4 No LOC, PERRLA, no aphsia, no c/o h/a, no visible bruising/edema/lac
C/O left leg/knee/side/shoulder pain

From that, I believe they r/o head injury without seeing the need for a CT. Apparently they did an abdominal US (which was negative for injury/hemorrhage...although I asked my son if he was pregnant...lol).
I think the biggest thing(s) is that they should have done a chest and complete spine x-ray and even though his assessment didn't necessarily indicate a head injury, a CT would have been a safe call.

He did end up going to a walk-in on Saturday because his co-workers were telling him his shoulders were asymmetric and they were freaking him out about internal bleeding (I re-assured him about that). The MD that saw him works trauma at one of the ER's in the area for his FT job. He said he would have done a head-toe CT but he was able to r/o any fractures/displacement of his shoulder, ribs, hip and knee, as well as confirm no internal bleeding.

I really am not sure if it's a timing/scheduling issue for the practice or an insurance thing but it is ridiculous. Especially if you list "trauma" as one of the conditions you treat. "Trauma" almost always most certainly involves more than one body part.

He is moving better and is returning to focus on the knee and shoulder issues he had prior to the accident. Thank you for all your well wishes and healing thoughts!!!
catra121 (02-22-2016), Littlepaw (02-22-2016), mama mac (02-22-2016), mommystime2 (02-22-2016), NurseKris (02-22-2016), PurpleFoot721 (02-22-2016)