View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Confused Is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome possible in both arms?

8 months ago, I went into the ER because I knew something was wrong. I am a healthy, athletic 28 year old female, who did use the nuvaring. I was diagnosed with a major blood clot in my right arm. I was immediately put on Xeralto and declined to have any surgery.

My vascular surgeon blamed it on my birth control, and told me to resume all regular working out. I do a lot of pilates, yoga, boot camp. When I went back to bootcamp a month later, I worked out hard and developed the same pains in my other arm. When I went in for an ultrasound again, I asked the technician to check my left arm this time, since I had the same weird pain. Turns out, I had another blood clot that had developed in my left arm. This time I recognized the pain and was able to catch it before it got as big as the right arm.

My hematologist put me on eliquis 5mg twice a day and another vascular surgeon told me I had thoracic outlet syndrome in both arms. Although rib resection is an option, no one suggests it because it is a heavy surgery, especially on both sides. I tested negative for lupus.

1. Does anyone have more insight on this? Can it really be TOS on both sides? I feel like since I am not wanting surgery, I am in limbo.

2. Is there anyone I can see that can show me HOW to workout, now that I am not allowed to lift my arms above my chest level?

This has really been a major change in my lifestyle, and I am looking for answers...swelling is evident in both arms, even with 8 months on blood thinners. Pain in my shoulder is definitely strong but I can bear it.
omegrabian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (02-23-2016)