View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 07:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn03w View Post
I've been researching several valves to begin discussing with my neurosurgeon and came across Aesculap's proGAV. It consists of a DP valve with an integrated secondary valve called ShuntAssistant. Does anyone have experience with this valve? It's suppose to give patients low opening pressure when lying down and adjusts to higher opening pressures when standing up.
Hi jasn03w,

This gets beyond me somewhat. The requirements/issues for kids can be quite different from adults. Things often need to be redone with growth (may be what triggered this somewhat), and sometimes the options don't work as well when one is short (like kids are). We may switch to a VA shunt in the future to reduce the over draining/siphoning if this continues to be a problem as she grows. I know siphoning is not exactly the same as over draining, think we are dealing with both factors but I think knowing one's problems exactly helps the surgeon make the best equipment choice. The shunt assistant doesn't sound right my child although the placement for kids, behind the ear, isn't a big issue unless that is where kids get problem with devices embedding into the wrong tissue. Adults would get that shunt assistant into the chest if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone know if ICP monitoring helps one know exactly the issues and choose the most appropriate system? Seems quite limited from what I do understand (which I freely admit isn't sufficient).

Last edited by pogo; 02-23-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: grammar fix
pogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote