View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 01:37 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi akimbo,

I'm really sorry that your anxiety is affecting you so much right now. I understand your reluctance to use the Paxil from the Doctor at the walk in clinic.

Is there any way that you can see a Psychologist either privately or at a hospital? That really would be better for you to be seeing someone who can diagnose you correctly and also you could perhaps try some cognitive behaviour therapy.

Some people do well just with the CBT. It usually is done over a number of sessions and there can be homework involved. Some people do better with a combination of CBT and a medication, but finding the right medication can be trial and error as you've perhaps already found.

There are other options besides the meds like Celexa and Paxil. Some people seem to respond to Propranolol which is a Beta Blocker. The problem with the Beta Blockers I found is that although they can treat the actual physical symptoms that appear when in a state of heightened anxiety, they are more of a 'band-aid' approach and don't work on the cause of the anxiety.

The lack of sleep would not be helping you at all. Have you tried any non-drug methods to help you sleep. Everyone is different but I find that taking Tryptophan can help me stay asleep. (You can't take that if you're taking SSRIs though!) Other times I take magnesium. I also try to have a wind down time prior to sleep. Whole body relaxation exercizes can help with that. You can try lying down on the bed and start at the feet and tense your toes, then hold that tension briefly and then relax. Continue that all the way up your body. You'd be surprised how relaxed it feels after doing that regularly.

Learn to breathe. Most of us who deal with anxiety tend to not breathe very well when under pressure.

Please see if you can get a regular Doctor or a Psychologist who can diagnose you correctly and go from there.

Well, keep talking. Let us know how you're doing.
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (02-29-2016), kiwi33 (02-25-2016), RSD ME (03-13-2016)