View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile My symptoms of TOS, diagnosis, helpful treatments!

Here's how I first found I was starting to get TOS, and how I improved:

TOS SYMPTOMS I had, at the beginning (several years ago):

1. heavy arms

2. tingly or numb arms, including little (5th) fingers

3. weird "alarm" feeling washing over upper body (front & sometimes back)

a. this happened more when I was constipated, I noticed, or hadn't urinated but needed to

b. this happened when I had to turn the car's steering wheel hard, like when turning into a parking lot from a street

c. this also happened when I ate sugary things

4. heart palpitations
---------------

CAUSES of my early stages of TOS were:

1. lifting too many heavy items, for work (it was a new line of work for me)

2. holding steering wheel too high up, (driving job), and, holding steering wheel with a "death grip"

3. bad ergonomics:

a. too much typing on an old fashioned typewriter

b. when I finally got a computer, I didn't realize that it was bad to have keyboard up on a desk (now, I keep keyboard on my lap, when "keyboarding")

c. when first had computer, didn't know I needed to get computer glasses (now I have trifocal power computer glasses, which are +0.75 power, and these allow me to sit about 3 feet from the monitor screen & easily read the screen)

d. didn't know I needed an office chair that was ergonomically good for me, and in my case, without arm rests. I bought a Situs office chair (many adjustments), which brand I first discovered at our local Physical Therapy clinic. See this link: http://www.situsinc.com/seatpg.htm
------------------

How I got the TOS DIAGNOSED: I saw Dr. Charles Brantigan, M.D. (Vascular Surgeon, TOS expert!) in Denver, Colorado, who had me hold my hands up (the "I give up"/Stick 'em up position), etc.

Before I got diagnosed, I had spoken with a local guy (stoneworker) who had already been diagnosed with TOS, and I noticed he had some similar symptoms to what I had been experiencing (numb arms).

This local guy was able to cancel his upcoming surgery for his TOS (that he was scheduled to have), by seeing a woman several times, who did "Aston Patterning" (a type of neuromuscular PT/Physical Therapy), that can greatly help many TOS patients.

Hearing about his good results, led me to "googling" for info about TOS, which I suspected I might have. That led me to Braintalk.org, where TOS patients highly recommended Dr. Brantigan.
-------------------

What helped me to DECREASE the early TOS:

1. Dr. Brantigan said I was on the way to getting TOS, but that I was still in the very early stages. He prescribed 10 sessions with an Occupational Therapist (OT) who happened to be a Feldenkrais practitioner (teacher).

Feldenkrais Method is a wonderfully helpful neuromuscular type of PT/Physical Therapy that is very helpful, for many people with TOS. The lady OT had a lot of experience helping TOS patients, and she helped me a lot! Her name is Charlotte Watership (not in Denver, now). Dr. Brantigan's prescription to see Charlotte, was "to evaluate workstation ergonomics".

2. People on the TOS forum at Braintalk.org, had lots of great advice, which taught me various things to try, that together with Charlotte's Feldenkrais sessions, were so helpful in lessening my TOS!

a. One of the forum people taught herself, which taught me, to put my keyboard directly on my lap, (instead of up on a desk),

b. Keep my knees a little lower than hips, when sitting, and with feet flat on floor, slightly forward of knees, and NOT to use arm rests while "keyboarding" (and no wrist rests, since they aren't needed when keyboard is on lap)

c. Get computer glasses, with power of +0.75 (or +1.00 power, for my "clip on" magnifiers, which I bought from an optometrist, but you can get at a fishing store too)

d. Use a very adjustable office chair (mine is a Situs, but there are other great brands too--Situs is not expensive, but is a really nice, good quality brand)

e. Be sure my monitor is not too high or too low, to prevent neck strain

f. Avoid sugar, which caused "flares"!!!

g. Avoid constipation & avoid putting off urination, which both caused me to have flares, like while hiking, shopping, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck to all!

Carol (Concerned Lady)
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
concerned lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mspennyloafer (11-07-2010)