Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post here is a good overview on beta blockers:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/beta-blockers/HI00059

I don't recall reading that they CAUSE diabetes in the past

H. But they can affect how people perceive low blood sugar, and so they have a warning for diabetics. The drug blocks the signs of hypoglycemia. That does not mean it changes blood sugar, only blocks the nervous system's symptoms. So a person gets no warning when blood sugar dips, and may faint, etc.

The only major thing I have seen over the years is the effect on blood lipids.

Beta Blockers are no longer considered "first line" in primary hypertension treatment in USA. The trend is to ACE inhibitors now.

But beta blockers are still used very frequently.
The older propranolol does cause depression and memory loss, esp in older patients. But the newer cardioselective ones do that less so.

There are some new concerns.... however:
http://www.informationaboutdiabetes....e-diabetes.php
I don't know if this worry, is because people with high blood pressure already are insulin resistant, or
that the study pool was pre-diabetic. If you have good dietary habits, that would be a plus for you.
I don't think it is cast in stone however, that you could get diabetes. (until more information is gathered)

Here is a very new article on the topic:
Quote:
J Manag Care Pharm. 2007 Jun;13(5):17-9.
Case study: the link between hypertension and diabetes.
Bakris GL, Gonzalez ER.

BACKGROUND: Many diabetics develop hypertension, and it is a major risk factor for cardiovascular and microvascular complications. OBJECTIVE: To review a case study of a patient with poorly controlled hypertension and diabetes. SUMMARY: Further assessment of this case study shows that the patient has poorly controlled hypertension, despite multiple medications. The patient also has metabolic syndrome complicated.by diabetes, microalbuminuria and peripheral arterial disease. The patient's hypertensive treatment options must be evaluated in light of the fact that polypharmacy has made it more difficult for her to achieve glycemic control. A panoply of drugs and drug classes are available from which to choose: diuretics, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, and aldosterone antagonists. New vasodilatory betablockers reduce adverse drug reactions and produce beneficial effects on arterial vasculature. Various beta~blockers' effects on insulin sensitivity are compared. CONCLUSION: Older beta-blockers have been shown to have detrimental effects on glucose or lipid parameters. Newer agents such as nebivolol do not impact lipid, glucose, insulin, or high-density lipoproteins. Instead, nebivolol stimulates endothelial nitric oxide release in renal arteries and improves renal function.

PMID: 17605507 [PubMed - in process]
Here is an article on various drug combos and diabetes incidence:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

We will have to wait for more I think on this subject. Watch your diet in the meantime.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote