View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 12:16 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

First of all thanks Chris for sharing! I've traveled a lot, climbed Himalayas so to get that diagnosis in my age is pretty devastating. I could live with what I have now, but I'm afraid of progression...

Patrick:
Thanks for your detailed response! What I wanted to say about going of gabapentin wasn't concerning the withdrawal symptoms, rather the fact that if it works I don't think I would risk it and go off to feel horrible again
Now you're telling me it's not even the case. I'll see how long I can manage without it, some nights I fall asleep ok, but tonight I couldn't for most of the night
It's not even very much of a pain, it's a weird disturbance, hard to describe, but I guess you all know it

I started chelate magnesium before bedtime, maybe I should change the time or it doesn't matter?

I read about all the supplements and I'm buying them all. Hopefully they will be of any help

If the pain is really compression related would a surgery be an option if everything else fails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Winter View Post
I can tell you as someone who has taken Gabapentin that it is by no means a miracle pill. It basically, kind of works, a little bit. Its a masking agent, and a poor one at that. Its success rate is actually very small in relation to neuropathy pain, clinical trials have proven this. If you are having trouble sleeping at night because that's when the pain is the worst you may consider it for just a night time dose, because it will help you fall asleep. But, there are other routes you could consider as well, Magnesium most notably.

You can get off gabapentin, its not a no going back situation at all. Far from it. Don't know where you got that idea. As a matter of fact, many people find gabapentin tends to lose its effectiveness over time. i personally would avoid it if at all possible, simply because the cons outweigh the pros.
banjanti is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote