View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Actually--

--I have had the prostate examination done recently, by a female doctor, and I must say that while it is far from the most pleasant experience I've ever had, at least it was over quickly. The doctor was very professional--in fact, considering the situation, perhaps too much so (I like to make the doctor laugh, or at least smile--seems to break the tension)--but I talked a lot about neuropathy during the procedure, which I think may have relaxed her some, given the situation.

I also have a female dermatologist I strip down completely for every year to get a full body examination for possible skin cancers and the like. While that situation was a bit awkward at first, we now know each other well enough to joke about it, and to talk about other medical conditions; she seems interested in my knowledge of such things as insulin resistance and non-pharmaceutical means of handling impaired glucose tolerance.

(Not to sterotype, but I actually think the average female doctor listens better, though I am fortunate to have found some good male neurologists at Cornell Weill.)

I realize, Dahlek, you may have some areas of sensitivity in this area, but I didn't think anybody meant anything by it. I am actually encouraged, given all the pain and other debilitation that many here suffer, that most can actually still think along those ribald lines. (I'm sure many of us would still like to think of ourselves as sexual beings at least some of the time.)

Hey, my joke in this area is that given the current neuropathic situation with my right side radiculopathy and how it affects my right hand, I certainly appreciate a front closing (opening?) bra, and perhaps Melody has a potential business opportunity. (Melody's Not-So-Secret?)

We do appreciate the indignities everybody with a medical condition (especially those that affect THOSE body parts) has to go through. It's just that, given our cultural anxiety about those parts, the whole subject is just set-up for humor. But nobody would for a moment think any less seriously about the situation, even given the possibilites for humor.

Another area where this comes up--on the gluten board, since eliminative issues are so much a part of the condition, there's plenty of stool analysis, which also leads to humor. But the issue is still considered quite seriously.

In the end, a nerve may have been hit--and we've all got sensitive nerves --but I don't think anyone was deliberately aiming for one.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote