View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
DavidHC, some thoughts:

"It doesn't seem to settle the issue [VDR ablation] either way, almost a technical way of saying we just don't know what's going on, but there's stuff happening. ."

I could not have put it better myself

"B-cells are also affected by 1,25(OH)2D, demonstrating decreased immunoglobulin production, proliferation and differentiation, but increased apoptosis."

I think that this is OK. Most B cells are passive. They only get activated by encountering specific antigens made by pathogens, usually with assistance from helper T cells. Two things happen to activated B cells; they differentiate into passive memory cells which are "ready and waiting" for the next time that their specific pathogenic antigen is present - they then get activated - this is why vaccinations are effective.

Activated B cells also differentiate into plasma cells, which secrete specific antibodies, which deal with the pathogen. If both activated B cells and plasma cells persisted in the absence of their specific antigen there is a risk that they could mutate, leading to an autoimmune disease or a B cell cancer like multiple myeloma. Because of that they "commit suicide" - undergo apoptosis - it seems that Vitamin D/VDR has a role in this.

"Computer simulation is not enough."

Commented on elsewhere.

"this study seems to take it for granted that inhibiting the ongoing proliferation of activated B cells and inducing their apoptosis is beneficial."

See above.

"keeping an eye on my IgG and neutrophils, which I should mention have slightly gone down in the last few months - I have two blood samples over 3 months on that - and the reading was already on the lowest end of the acceptable range."

I don't know enough about the clinical side of things to say much about this - mrsD could well help.
actually its alot more complicated than that. B-cells have to mature from an immature b-cell, it first has to express, primary igm first, than it switches depending on the situation, to prevent autoimmunity, if the b-cell is autoreactive it is "destroyed" in bone marrow before full maturing, soemtimes it escapes this for unknown reason, and gets into your system, which is where it can get checked, if autoreactive, then it is wiped here as well. If it escapes all of these it can cause autoimmunity, however it should have the genetic changes before hand, for a specific antigen.T-cells is similar as well.
For cancer, it is usually the immature, or stem cell stages that will become myeloma or b-cell cancer, its almost always pre-cursor, cell which are primitive and display self-renewel. fully mature immune cells are less likely to become cancer. Theres also alot of checks and balances that go from immature "precursor to b-cells" which is why autoimmunity is very hard to study sometimes.
Neuroproblem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote