View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 03:33 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Thank you for that Neuroproblem. Among other things I am an immunologist but that part of my research is concerned with innate immunity (the complement system).

I realise that my post was somewhat simplified but I hope that I did not confuse anybody.

Two things that you wrote struck me:

"primary igm first, than it switches depending on the situation, to prevent autoimmunity [emphasis added]"

My understanding of heavy chain class switching (aka isotype switching) is that it is controlled by cytokines made by Th1, Th2 and Treg cells - as far as I know it does not involve autoimmunity - can you shed some light on this?

"For cancer, it is usually the immature, or stem cell stages that will become myeloma"

As I understand it, myeloma arises from transformation of plasma cells, usually in the bone marrow. I may be wrong but I do not think that plasma cells are "immature" in the B cell lineage. Would you like to comment on this?
cancer is a little wierd, the formation of meyloma, i tried finding it, the research is pretty murky, they know the true origin of a myeloma, but i guess because plasma cells are fully mature, it can be the cause of it. It also indicated the "cancer stem cells" are responsible for myeloma growth. When i "read up on" cancers, they usually derive from an immature cells, since cancer can be considered immature or primitive. i think your correct on this, but i found some interesting papers on myelomas.
it seems that it can be indirectly related, i mustve meant the cd4+T cyto toxic cells. My immunology is rusty, i took this class last spring, there was so much to cover, and couldnt fit everything in one semester. i vaguely remember you mentioned that your an immunologist.
i was reading up on Ankylosising spondylitis, it seems to involve T-cell(i assume the cytotoxic), it was when i developed some strange spinal stiffness and pain near my sacral joints a month or 2 ago.
Neuroproblem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote