View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Apparently I'm a boring PwP !

A short while ago, I used to look after two young lads, same age as my son, after school. Their parents are close friends and needed child care. I stepped up, fed them, entertained them and for once felt useful.
It did my mental health a world of good, somebody actually needing me !

But one night as their father chatted briefly during pick-up, he asked me if I would be going to his party. I replied, as usual, depends how I feel on the night. In response to this he slammed his hand on the table and said "cards on the table Nige, you're so obsessed with your illness that I find you so boring that I don't want to come round"

This from a man who continually professes to care ! The irony is that the bare minimum a non-medical person can do for a PWP is to listen and yet that seems to be too much for him.

I adopted the stance of being 'the better man', apologised for the sake of the our two families, took it on the chin for the greater good. But it got me thinking of people's attitudes and concluded the worst are what I call the 'Christmas Cracker Councellors' a reference to the pathetic corny jokes found in British novelty crackers. So in line with my latest OCD manifestation I'v put my thoughts to rhyme. Hope you enjoy the following ditty (it ain't poetry lol !) Apologies for the one word of profanity, poetic licence,

CHRISTMAS CRACKER COUNSELLORS

Its Christmas Cracker Counsellors I hate the most,
“ Yeah I helped the poor sod cope” they like to Boast
With their patronising manner they lean in and say,
“make the most of your every remaining day “
Such a clichéd sentiment is pathetic and trite,
only from children would I accept such shite.
Their motivation to speak is not what you think,
while fawning they give a nod and a wink.
In order to say take a good look at me,
Aren't I the king of philanthropy .
Some I grant don't know what to say,
if so say nothing, it's really ok.
I know I can make folk ill at ease,
with my demanding little disease,
but if you claim to really care,
take on board this simple dare.
Take some time to find out more
think about the things you saw.
Don't treat me with pity or sympathy
give me understanding and empathy.

Nigel
Niggs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bogusia (03-03-2016), eds195 (03-03-2016), GerryW (03-03-2016), HarryM (03-07-2016), johnt (03-03-2016), PamelaJune (03-03-2016), ScottSuff (03-03-2016)